Sunday, February 2, 2014

Worship Symposium


This past week I attended the Calvin Worship Symposium


They had a focus on the Exodus narrative during each worship service


We celebrated communion together at the closing worship service.


3 comments:

Anja said...

can you explain a bit of what is on the tablets. It seems there is some symbolism in the colours and extra stuff

Olga said...

The art is a paper sculpture which reflects moments in the life of Moses and the Israelites, including the burning bush, plagues, parting of the Red Sea, and the giving of the commandments.

You'll notice the pictures portray different parts of the story. There's a picture of a grieving Israelite mother (top left), baby Moses (down), Moses killing the Egyptian (down), Moses and Aaron (down), Moses and Pharaoh (bottom left), frogs, flies, gnats (top right), locust (middle right), grieving Egyptian mother (underneath), blood on door posts (bottom right).

The burning bush appears at the center. I believe it says "I AM who I AM" in Hebrew - harder to tell without vowels.

I'm not exactly sure about the colours at the bottom, but I'm fairly certain they're connected with the Tabernacle. There's a menorah. I think the wings represent the cherubim. And I think of the curtain when I see the colours woven in.

Anja said...

thanks, I can see some of it now